Saturday, May 31, 2014

Debossing with Make It Monday


The debossing on my card does not show up very well in this picture but it is there : )

The uber talented Dawn McVey has posed a new challenge at the Papertrey Ink blog to create a card using what she calls "debossing".  You can see her video HERE but I will give you the gist of it.

Debossing is basically using a die or a cutting plate to emboss on your paper rather than cut shapes from your paper.  This is achieved by changing up your "sandwich" that you run through your machine.

Here is a better - darker shot of the same card so you can see the debossing : )


For this technique select a die cutting plate with a coordinating stamp set.  For my card I debossed my card first with the PTI Hearts Die cover plate.  Then I stamped over a few of the debossed shapes with some heart stamps from the coordinating set.  It didn't work as smooth as Dawn's LOL I found the heart stamps to be larger than the impressions left after my debossing so it is not as "professional" of a look. 

Still, I like it and think it is a very pretty look that I would like to try with a butterfly like Dawn did or a floral image and die... I just need to shop! right!?! heehee

I love the challenges at PTI.  There is still time for you to join the fun and as always with PTI there is a prize to be won! woohoo so why not give it a try. Make it Monday link

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend! We are enjoying a fantastic sunny - blue sky day! : )

Patti

Supplies:
cs by PTI
Hearts Die cover plate by PTI
Happy Hearts Stamp set by PTI
Ink by CTMH compliments of my friend, Theresa : ) Happy Birthday to me!!
Ribbon and Bakers Twine by American Crafts

20 comments:

Kelly said...

ooooh this is lovely! love that mix with the bow/twine. the debossing is GREAT!

Diana K said...

I love the colours you chose and the casual look of your stamped hearts. Perfection is not always as good as it sounds! This is very artistic looking!

Kathryn A said...

Love the texture you've created with the embossing, and with the ribbon and bow! And, thanks so much for your comment on my card :)

KT Fit Kitty said...

Gorgeous cards, Patti! I have a weakness for butterflies! Although they are both lovely, I love the technique you used on the second one! Keep up the fabulous cards!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Very pretty! You did that cover plate proud!
Thanks for sharing
Susan

A Crafty Person said...

Your card is so elegant. I love the dembossed hearts.

Carmen said...

I love this card it is so cute. I saw the post but didn't have time to watch it now I know what debossing is and will have to give it a try.

Carole Z said...

Hi Patti, this card is so pretty and I love the little butterflies. Debossing is something I always seem to forget about and yet it is so effective. Have a lovely day, hugs Carole Z X

Manuela said...

oh my, your card is very pretty. Love the tie(bow) on it. The debossing looks great on your card.

Manuela said...

oh my, your card is very pretty. Love the tie(bow) on it. The debossing looks great on your card.

Unknown said...

Great card Patti. You are always creating a master piece! I love how the twine and ribbon look together.... will have to try!

I know we talked about this technique in the past but this morning I have been inspired by your cards to try something similar with what I have. I dont have many dies with matching stamps but I have Cricut cartridges with matching stamps. Wonder... if I turn down the cut pressure.... I will send you my results.

Beth F. said...

Beautiful debossing technique! I think I will have to get one of those rubber mats for my Big Shot so I can try that out. Your card is lovely!

Betty Wright said...

Patti, this is fantastic! Love the soft colors and the layered ribbon and twine combo! Great card with this technique!

Rose said...

this is so pretty!! going to put this on my "to try" list :)

Greta said...

This is beautiful! I used a coverplate, too, so only used the smaller outline image & then had to add an image. Neat technique, though, & I'd be honored to have you case my card!

Helen F. said...

Lovely card, Patti! I really like how artsy it turned out and tend not to be so "professional" with my tries at these techniques myself ;-)

Marybeth said...

I Love debossing and this card. The random stamped hearts look beautiful! Love that bow and the creamy quilted look this one has. You are very creative.
Thanks for the offer on the golf stamps and die you are to kind to offer. I do have that set. Any time just give me an email if you need something Patti!

Carolanne said...

Oh this is beautiful. I like that you did not stamp every heart.

maria f. said...

This is fabulous and so well done. Beautiful colors and a great sentiment. I also love your mint/white card set above. Wow are those pretty.

Peanut said...

So pretty! Love the ribbon twine mix. Must have a go at the debossing technique. The end result is fab!
hugs, Asha